Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Rock Museum

I was able to take the boys on an outing to the Rock Museum during spring break. Every 2nd grade class visits for a field trip and when it was Daniel's class's turn a few weeks ago he came back raving about it. He even set up his own rock museum in our backyard. It turns out it is a real gem of a place (pun intended!) that is located only a few minutes from where we live. It was well worth the trip and would be a great place to take anyone who comes to visit us :)


The boys posing next to a Thunder Egg (I had to consult with Daniel to remember all the names of these things.  He totally remembers them all and is happy to be the resident expert :)


Daniel says he likes to call this one The Smiley Cyclops.  Love it!

These looked like peanut brittle!

A Mammoth Tusk on the bottom shelf there:


Petrified Dinosaur Eggs (Lucas is posing as a dinosaur):

Daniel with The Alma Rose.  He couldn't stop talking about this one:

Petrified Pinecones:

This one was so bright and pretty, so interesting:

These were amazing.  Click to try and catch some of that detail:

They have a rock pile outside that kids can sort through and choose a rock of their own.  It may not look like much but the kids loved it:



3 Comments:

Blogger TracyS. said...

Wow- I would be fascinated to visit that place. Those are amazing rocks you shared.

6/28/2013 10:31 AM  
Blogger amphvivian said...

I love rocks and frequently have a "neat" one in my pocket. Every now and then I have to return some to nature because I have too many on my dresser. I used to be leery of painting on rocks because it obscures their natural beauty, but I realized that the rocks don't care and they will return to their natural state and be around longer than I will. I would love to go here when we visit you someday!

8/25/2013 4:05 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I didn't know you had such an affinity for rocks, Viv. I'm glad you told me! I would love to have you visit and take you to this cool museum sometime! You too, Tracy! Your kids would all love it.

8/25/2013 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home