Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Monday, July 02, 2012

Alone Together Review

I've recently read what has become my favorite book; Alone Together: Why We Expect More From Technology and Less From Each Other by Sherry Turkle.  It's a big deal for me.  I remember when I gave my favorite movie its own post and thought a book was even more deserving.  Without further ado, here is the review I posted on goodreads:

Favorite. Book. Ever. Sorry for the drama but it is true. The author, MIT professor of Social Studies of Science and Technology Sherry Turkle, raises so many ideas and questions that cut straight to the heart of human relationships and looks at how we as human beings care for and more importantly care about each other. She addresses some questions I have been puzzling over for the last several years such as, “Why does it feel like it’s harder to make real and meaningful connections with other people -- especially when we are “more connected than ever” through modern technology?”

I became completely absorbed while reading this and everything felt so relevant and “of the moment.”  I didn’t agree with absolutely everything, but really, I felt Turkle refrained from stating too many solid opinions and instead framed things in the form of questions or musings; “I wonder if technology is taking us in a direction we really want to go? Do we really want to settle for watered down relationships in deference to what technology has to offer?”

I could go on and on but I’d better not. Suffice it to say I loved this book and found it utterly fascinating. And as an added bonus, it’s given me a new running joke to use with my husband since I refer to it so much. E.g. when we were out to dinner for our anniversary I gave him my cell phone to look up some information we needed since he’s better with such things. While he was looking down, working with my phone I got to ask him from across the table, “so, does this mean we’re Alone Together?” Fun stuff!

Just a few quotes for my own reference;
Part One The Robotic Moment: In Solitude, New Intimacies, p.123
““...assuming that it has already been decided, irrevocably, that we have few resources to offer the elderly. With this framing, the robots are inevitable. We declare ourselves overwhelmed and lose a creative relationship to ourselves and to our future. We learn a deference to what technology offers because we see ourselves as depleted. We give up on ourselves.”

Part Two Networked: In Intimacy, New Solitudes, p. 203
“We fill our days with ongoing connection, denying ourselves time to think and dream. Busy to the point of depletion, we make a new Faustian bargain. It goes something like this: if we are left alone when we make contact, we can handle being together.”

p. 267
"Children have always competed for their parents' attention, but this generation has experienced something new. Previously, children had to deal with parents being off with work, friends, or each other. Today, children contend with parents who are physically close, tantalizingly so, but mentally elsewhere."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh Leslie, I will have to read this book! It sounds like a winner!

I have been following a blog that I ADORE now, because it really says everything I feel about how technology has changed the way we interact with our children, and really anybody important in our lives. And it's not just parents getting lost in the cyber world, it's kids now, too! I get teased for not having texting on my phone, but I just don't want to go there because I know it will be one more way to "connect" in a way that might draw me further away from my priorities. I also recently cancelled my FB account (so did Todd) and we try to use the internet mostly at night or here and there during the day ... and it's hard! I just miss the good old fashioned ways of making, nurturing, respecting and therefor keeping relationships and friendships ... but all the rules have changed now, and it seems like nothing is as sincere as it once was. It bothers me! So I guess you could say this blog has been the voice that I wish I had on this subject ... you might like it too ... it's called Hands Free Mama at www.handsfreemama.com

Anyways, thank you so much for sharing YOUR voice in this post ... it sounds like a GREAT book!

-Shannon McDonald

7/02/2012 9:48 PM  
Blogger Carole said...

I was wondering whether you would be happy to put up a link in my monthly series called “Books You Love”. The idea is for people to link up posts about a book they loved. It could be an old fave. I am hoping we will end up with a nice collection of books that can go on our reading lists. Here is the link Books You Loved July Edition

7/08/2012 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home