Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Festival of Trees

Joshua and Daniel had the opportunity to participate in Portland's Festival of Trees with their violin group a couple of week-ends ago.  It was a great event raising money for cancer research and I'm glad we were able to be a part of it.

So, miracle of miracles, I've actually managed to get some footage of the performance up on the blog to share with you all (with massive amounts of help from Jake, of course!).  

The first segment is about 8 minutes of footage from the middle of the performance which I felt were the highlights (they were playing most of my favorite pieces, anyway!).  The second shows Daniel being a "jingle boy."  He didn't like doing it but did it anyway and did a good job so I'm proud of him.  He and the other two older boys he was doing it with are too new to the violin to have done much else and I'm glad their teacher had ways to include them.

The Lineup
Deck the Halls*
The Holly and the Ivy
Minstrel Round
Dona Nobis Pacem (Grant Us Peace)




*I just have to give Joshua credit for the harmony part he played on Deck the Halls .  This arrangement had the melody and two different harmonies going on and Joshua was assigned the second harmony with another student that is more advanced than he is.  I was stressed when I found out and wondered why in the world their teacher would pair Joshua with her.  But bless his heart, he picked up that harmony almost as if it were nothing and did a fantastic job.  It's the blond girl behind him that shared the same harmony if you want to watch for it.  

On each of these arrangements there are always several different things going on with harmonies, rounds, and simpler variations for less advanced students.  I even got the accompanist's hands at one point because I really want to learn the accompaniment for that piece!  It is fun to watch for all the different parts, who's doing what at any particular time.  At least for me, I find it all very interesting and am proud of these kids and their teacher for putting this all together.

Alright, enough of me talking.  I hope you enjoy the playing.  It's so festive!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home