Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Monday, December 05, 2011

Piano

Jake's Grandmother gave us the piano that graced her home for the last 50 years and we are so happy to have it!  It is beautiful and was given the best of care over the years.  It's the piano that Jake's mother learned and practiced on every day and I love that it has a family history because it makes it more meaningful for us.

Doesn't it look so natural in that spot?
I have managed to play it every day since we've had it and it's been great!  My plans for it mainly involve myself* since the violin is such a great fit for my boys, but I would love to be able to accompany them and really look forward to making music together!  Also I would love to make myself useful at Church, giving all those people who play the piano and have been stuck in pianist callings for forever a break.  I've had my break these last 20 years and feel that it's only fair :).

Lucas is especially drawn to it and even composed a little song called Flower the first day it arrived.
 As an adult I've felt bad that I let my piano playing skills go at the tender age of 14 and I see this as a chance to redeem myself.  So far I've practiced every day since we've had it and I'm amazed by how much I remember from all those lessons all those years ago.

It is slow going for sure what with being the mother to four young children and all, but I love the snippets of time I am able to steal for practice each day.  It is so refreshing to be doing something to develop myself personally and with the yoga, walking and reading I do I'm starting to feel downright well-rounded!  It's a great feeling but comes tinged with some guilt.  Should I be getting to do these things for myself while my children are still so young?  Hmmm....I'll keep thinking about it but until I come to a conclusion, I'm going for it!

*Jake's plans involve learning to play Werewolves of London on it ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger TracyS. said...

awesome! I only occasionally play our key board and would like to steal more time for it. Go for it!

12/07/2011 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home