Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Our floors look great!


Well, other than the fact that they are turquoise-colored with purple flecks (graduate student housing standard). But the carpet has never been so consistently clean! We love our Roomba! Lots of people have been asking me about it and I thought I would post a little review for those who may be curious but were too afraid to ask ;).

Roomba really is pretty much as great as I was hoping it would be and any skepticism I may have had turned out to be happily unnecessary. Roomba's maneuverability is impressive and he (yes, ours is male) gets around really well. I think my favorite part about Roomba is how he cleans under our couch, beds and dressers! On his maiden voyage we all watched in disbelief as he boldly ventured under our couch. We held our breath, wondering if he would ever be able to get out from under there (our couch has a heavy flap around the bottom), but we all cheered as he strode out again several seconds later without batting a sensor-lash.


One thing the owners manual makes sure to highlight and I thought would be worth mentioning here is that Roomba's cleaning patterns are different from the way humans clean. Humans of course tend to be fairly methodical, cleaning one area thoroughly before moving on. Roomba appears to clean in a more random pattern, but apparently it's all robotic and on sensors, and he can detect when a particular area is clean. The bottom line is that the floors look fantastic at the end of a cleaning cycle, and that's what's important.

Now that I have a Roomba of my own I have found myself wondering why more people don't have them! I think that two of the biggest barriers are skepticism (which I have already addressed) and cost. Many people, myself included, thought Roombas were terribly expensive and I always day dreamed about getting one "someday." Well, luckily Jake did a little searching and found out that they can actually be very affordable. The one he got for me is a base model from the previous generation of Roombas and fit within our grad student budget (well, as a really special birthday present with a 20% discount, anyway). And even though it's "just" the older base model, it works great! We saw the newest, current model with all the bells and whistles at Costco the other night and it cost less than what you would pay for a new, traditional vacuum. It certainly cost less than what we paid for our vacuum when we first got married.

So there you have my thoughts on Roomba. I don't know if I will ever cease to be amazed that my vacuuming gets done while I'm doing something else.

5 Comments:

Blogger A | E said...

What about cords? We have cords running all over the place under the couches and dressers and our floor is wood? Would it still work?

4/17/2008 3:29 PM  
Blogger A | E said...

OH and we have shag rugs too, how would it do with those?

4/17/2008 3:29 PM  
Blogger kim said...

(Hey Leslie! Good to "see" you and your family.

I am fascinated by this Roomba! We need a new vacuum and I love the idea of not having to actually vacuum--would you really never need a normal vacuum?

4/20/2008 12:52 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Erin & Adam -- hi guys! Cords might be a problem; all of our cords border the walls so it hasn't really been an issue. Wood flooring should be fine, as Roomba does a great job "sweeping." Shag rugs might be okay, but the manual mentions that if the rugs have tassels around the edge that those need to be tucked under before setting Roomba loose.

Kim -- great to hear from you! I really think that Roomba can replace a traditional vacuum. We aren't going to get rid of our regular vacuum though, because I think it will be good to have around when we move, for example, and are giving the apartment one last cleaning. Also, if you have surprise company coming over in, say, 20 minutes, it would be good to have a regular vacuum to do a quick job as Roomba takes about an hour to clean our apartment. But I have not touched our old vacuum since we got Roomba and don't plan to except in those cases I mentioned. We do have a dust buster which I still use regularly for spot cleaning, but apparently the newer Roomba models have a spot cleaning feature.

I understand you guys are moving soon -- best of luck and we miss you here in San Diego!

4/20/2008 9:06 PM  
Blogger Gary S. said...

"...batting a sensor-lash..." LOL!

4/22/2008 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home