Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

DC Trip: Pennsylvania Ave.

Oh my poor, neglected blog. Let's see if I can just hammer out these last few posts from our DC trip.

We visited the Library of Congress and had a fine time. We got to see the Gutenberg Bible and explained to the kids what it was all about and why it is special. I'm not sure if they believed us, but we may have gotten through to Joshua.

Here is some of the stunning architecture:

And they have a room especially for children, which was a very nice touch. My favorite part was finding a copy of the book "Freight Train" by Donald Crews with his autograph on the inside cover.

From there, the capitol building is just across the way. We walked around the back and it was absolutely freezing. I don't think I will ever forget the relentless, frigid wind that blasted us as we fought our way around to the front.
Blasted from behind:

Turn around to snap a shot of the Supreme Court Building:

And emerge triumphant around the front:

From there we headed down Pennsylvania Ave. to the White House. We were able to snap a few pictures before police officers on horseback came and shooed everyone away. We waited across the street (since we needed to get back to the train station) and watched as a heavily guarded motorcade left the White House. We don't know who it was, but Jake thought that it may well have been President Obama as he was supposed to be addressing Congress that afternoon. It wasn't fun to be shooed away but it did make the experience feel more authentic, I guess. Afterward we got to see one of the officers take off on his horse across the lawn between the White House and the Washington Monument at a full gallop. It seemed strangely out of place in the middle of a city, but the kids thought it was neat.


What an adventure and I know I've already said it a million times but I'll say it again: the kids were such troopers! It was a ton of walking, it was really cold and windy, parts of it were probably pretty boring for them, but they held up and I'm proud of them all!

1 Comments:

Blogger TracyS. said...

Thanks for the post! I am sure the kids loved the reading room in the library of congress. They could have hung out there for a lot longer than we let them. They were real troopers that day. It was cold. I wish I saw more of YOU in the pictures and less of me. Maybe I will go through my camera and make a post with you in it. (Or maybe not.)

5/31/2010 2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home