Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

DC Trip: My Birthday!

My birthday started out with a very cute pink cake. Tracy's kids decided it needed to be pink since I'm a girl :). It made the whole house smell amazing while she was baking it and that along with the balloons and other "Happy Birthday" decor made things feel wonderfully festive. It was really sweet!

After cake we headed out to the Metro station to join the throng attending opening day of the Cherry Blossom Festival. It was really pretty down by the Tidal Basin and I'm so glad we had the chance to be there. Jake took this beautiful shot:

The whole gang:

Then we headed over to see some of the monuments. It was a ton of walking but the kids were such troopers. That's saying a lot since between us we have 7 kids!



Joshua wanted me to take his picture near the basement of the Lincoln Memorial for no reason in particular and I just love this shot because of it! When you're seven you don't need a reason or a famous monument behind you or anything like that.

The Reflecting Pool looked much different in person than it does on TV and in movies, I thought. I didn't know it had a dirt track around it, for example.

Gary and kids at the WWII Memorial. It was pretty neat.


The Kite Festival was happening in the grassy area at the base of the Washington Monument. Luckily it was a windy day and we got to see lots of neat kites. A Jolly Roger kite in particular caught our eye. Sorry I didn't get a picture of it.

After all the sight seeing we headed downtown to join in on the Sheppard family tradition of seeing the Jazz play when they're in town. Gary is a big fan and it's always so much more fun when you're there with an actual fan (and his budding fan-lets). The Jazz ended up winning which was great, but Gary and I both felt kind of sad for the Wizards. No home court advantage or anything -- ouch.

All in all it was an awesome way to spend my birthday! It always helps when your birthday falls on a Saturday, but being on a trip and being with family you have been looking forward to seeing for ages really helps too :).

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

What a great trip. Happy birthday! I hope this next year is your best yet. Very cute cake.

4/24/2010 7:43 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I think D.C. has always been my ultimate favorite place to visit....I'd take it over Disneyland any day. So happy you got to have such a fun trip on your special day!

4/25/2010 1:06 AM  
Blogger Mollie said...

Wait, I think I knew Gary at BYU... Was he a fellow computer science major? I think we had this conversation many years ago, but I didn't realize that's who you were visiting in the DC area! How funny.

4/25/2010 3:48 PM  
Blogger Linn said...

Happy Birthday Leslie and what a fun way to spend the day! Love the photos!

4/25/2010 4:19 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Thanks everyone!

Mollie - yes, it's the same Gary who did CS at BYU. You have a good memory!

4/26/2010 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home