Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lucas Turns One!

I would say something like "where did the time go?" but really, it seemed like a long year to me :). Even still, it's always amazing when your baby turns one. We were watching some footage we'd taken when he was just a few weeks old and oh my goodness how he's grown! We've really gotten to know him over the course of the year and he is just a really neat person. He is so cheerful and bright, so adventurous and just plain fun! We all adore him and he brings so much joy to our family.

His birthday (Sunday the 10th) was actually a really crazy day for Jake and I. Jake had his multiple meetings before church and then I had multiple meetings after church (and during church I taught sharing time). By the time I got home, Lucas (and Jake) had squeezed a nap in and we still needed to get dinner on the table and a cake in the oven. Somehow we managed to pull it all off and ended up having a really nice post-dinner party for the birthday boy, complete with presents, cake and ice cream.


In case you're wondering why there's a roll of paper towels blocking your view of the presents -- that was one of the presents. His heart's desire would have been a roll of toilet paper, but I wasn't quite willing to go there (too lint-y). Still, he can unroll and tear at liberty 'til it's gone and I won't stop him:

Checking out his new play tunnel (yes, it's IKEA). This is a great gift for a one-year-old but the older boys are loving it too. Granted they like to play "tornado" and such with it, but I suppose that demonstrates how versatile it can be:

Directing Jake to which present he wants to open next. It's a...

...foam battle ax, of course! Too bad Daniel ripped it to shreds within 5 minutes (I am not exaggerating). Ah well, it only cost a buck.

You may also recognize the play kitchen implements from IKEA. They were quite a hit! I mentioned to Jake how this was definitely our most successful "first birthday" in terms of the birthday boy really playing with and enjoying his gifts. Jake pointed out it's because we're pretty experienced by now and know what a one-year-old will actually play with.

This isn't the best picture, but I was quite happy with how it turned out considering it's the quickest cake I've ever whipped together:

We love you so much Lucas! Thank you for being such a wonderful part of our family!

5 Comments:

Blogger TracyS. said...

Aww- what a special kid! Happy Birthday big guy. (I can't believe how clean his face is in the last shot.)

1/21/2010 5:39 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

so cute. I still remember him in your tummy.

1/21/2010 7:56 PM  
Blogger Linn said...

Happy Birthday cute Lucas!

1/22/2010 8:54 AM  
Blogger A | E said...

Glad to see all is well, hope to hear from you soon!

1/22/2010 4:49 PM  
Blogger James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

Happy Birthday Lucas! Looks like it was a success. Love the paper towel present - so creative!!

1/25/2010 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home