Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Another fire/horse post

I just wanted to share this picture in addition to Jake's post from yesterday because I think Daniel looks oh-so-grown-up, up there in that saddle, holding the reins. Plus, it gives you a pretty good idea of what the sky has been like around here:



Also, I just had to add another picture of Eleanor the mule. When I asked each boy which horse was his favorite, they both answered unequivocally (and independently of each other) that it was Eleanor. Somehow, she endeared herself to them, and I am in turn endeared by that.



The horses were not there this evening, and we assume that some space may have opened up for them at the Del Mar race track, or another livestock evacuation site, as several evacuees have been allowed to return home today. It is not likely that this couple has been able to go back home, as their ranch is in an area that has been extremely hard hit. I saw news footage of several ranch homes in their area that were on fire today, and the fire is still burning out of control there. I sincerely, sincerely hope that their property has been spared. I will never forget them or their kindness to us during their time of great distress. They were genuinely interested in letting our children experience their horses and were just so friendly to us, all while they were calling their home regularly to see if the answering machine would still pick up. Amazing people. They will continue to be in our prayers, and I hope to catch up with their son very soon to find out how they are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

The charm of Eleanor the mule must lie in the large ears. Daniel and Joshua's great-great grandfather used to like mules, too, but I think that was because they were tough and hardy. Certainly not because they usually have charming temperaments, because they don't.

10/26/2007 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home