Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Insomnia

It is now 2:05am. Funny thing is, I went to bed at 10:30pm on the dot. I was rather proud of myself for getting to bed at (what I consider) a very reasonable, responsible hour. But by 12:30am I was still wide awake as ever, so I threw in the towel and decided to pass the time by catching up on friend's blogs. Everyone has blogs these days, and it has been great to find out what people are up to, especially the ones I haven't seen in a while (thanks to the links that many friends have to each others blogs).

Anyway, suffice it to say that the extra time gained due to insomnia is never productive or welcome. If I were one of those people who genuinely only needed 2 or 3 hours of sleep per night, then it would be great to have the extra time to "get ahead." But no, I need the standard 7 or 8 hours that most of the population needs, and when I am up like this, I really am pretty tired, I just can't sleep (the irony kills me). Plus, I don't want to do anything too stimulating and prevent myself from getting drowsy.

A quick history: my insomnia started toward the tail end of grad school. I was just months away from my masters and the pressure was intense. It subsided after graduation, but then reared its head again during my pregnancy with Daniel, even worse than before. Once I had Daniel, the lack of sleep I experienced due to having a newborn seemed to force the insomnia to mostly correct itself. I think my body realized it had better get whatever sleep it could and be grateful! But then it gradually started to come back, and I now have sleepless episodes on a fairly regular basis (although not too frequently -- thank goodness). I would guess it happens maybe a few times a month -- there seems to be a cyclical pattern. The worst episode was once last fall when I couldn't sleep for three nights in a row. Yikes!

Anyway, the boys will be up in just a few hours. Somehow we'll make it through tomorrow. I'm never sure exactly how, but we'll do it -- I have such great boys and they always seem to roll with it! And thankfully (knock on wood)there hasn't typically been too much for them to have to roll with. Sure, I'm really tired the next day and maybe even more so the day after, but I think having children forces one to function beyond that which they are capable anyway.

I hope this post is even coherent -- it seems like it is, but I don't really trust myself at 2am. I wish that I were posting fun pictures of a vacation we just took, like the ones I have seen on the vast majority of the blogs I just checked out. Ah well, I guess this post is an accurate snapshot of what's going on in the Sorensen household right now. It ain't no vacation, but isn't this what blogs were originally for -- incoherent, middle-of-the-night ramblings?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home