Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Capturing the mood of the day

Today during the late morning time, I suddenly decided that I wanted to listen to a few Boingo songs. I'm not sure why, but I went ahead and cued them up and played them while the boys colored contentedly and I prepared lunch. As we listened I realized that the music was reflecting perfectly my experience of the morning. Nothing was said for a while (very unusual for our household) and we just let the music capture the mood. I know Joshua was feeling it too because when the playlist ended he marched over to the computer and restarted itunes all by himself. Not that it's difficult to do, but I just didn't know that he knew how to do it! And then he did it again a third time and I heard him say something about how these were his "favorite songs."

For those interested, the songs were:
Is This
Out of Control
We Close Our Eyes


I could listen to Danny Elfman's voice all day. It soars and is somehow exhilarating and soothing at the same time. For those who are familiar with these songs, please don't think that I'm depressed or anything based on "Out of Control" being one of the selections :). I just have always appreciated this song for its exploration of the human experience. In fact, I used it one time in grad school when we were asked to bring a song to a seminar that we felt somehow embodied social work and the experience of our clients.

Anyway, I feel kind of like a teen-ager for doing a post like this, since that was probably the last time that I let "pop" music (or whatever you'd like to categorize Boingo as) influence me quite like this. But hey, I guess it's just the mood of the day.

Oh--If I could only make time stand still for a moment
Capture a memory--and live it one more time

(-"Is This" from Dark at the End of the Tunnel by Oingo Boingo
)

4 Comments:

Blogger A | E said...

this post rules, my favorite oingo boingo song is "stay" and you don't need to justify why you listened to these songs and that you're not depressed. you can listen to whatever you want and love it.

8/01/2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Thanks for the vindication, Erin! And you're right, I shouldn't be apologetic.

8/01/2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger wickedcandy said...

Thanks for listening to Oingo Boingo!I have been listening to mostly Oingo Boingo for the last 2 years now. They helped me quit smoking(Change) and helped me and my mother deal with her dying this last Oct.(No One Lives Forever) Danny and the boys have made such a wonderful impact in my life, my husband's life, and the lives of my 2 teens. I don't regret that they aren't together anymore. I would so hate to see them on VH1's I Love the 80's. They are so much better than that! I appreciate these guys so much and I am so happy that you and others are also still listening.Thanks

8/01/2007 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous post. I've been on a serious Oingo Boingo trip for months now. That and Elfman's other work.
Excellent music.

8/02/2007 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home