Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Friday, May 25, 2007

Children's Fairyland

Jayne and I took the boys to Children's Fairyland in Oakland yesterday and we had a wonderful time! The boys loved it! Anyone who grew up anywhere near Oakland probably remembers Children's Fairyland, and indeed, both Jake and I have very fond memories of the place. Joshua is about the same age I was when I went with my preschool class at age 4, so I'm sure he'll have fond memories of his own. What a special day for the boys with Grandma!

Sad news though: Children's Fairyland is looking kind of, well, shabby. The place is such a treasure I wish I could just give them a huge grant to update and maintain it (Mary Mary Quite Contrary had cobwebs all over her). Fortunately young children don't notice that type of thing (only their uptight mothers) and it didn't phase the boys. Well, Joshua did wonder why half of the magic boxes said "out of order" and why there was no water in many of the displays where water was obviously intended, but I think it still held the same magic for them that is has for children over all these years.


Daniel exiting the brick house from the "Three Little Pigs"


Joshua in the Crooked Man's House


Joshua takes a turn at the wheel of Captain Hook's pirate ship! I think this was his favorite place -- we stayed here the longest and came back at the end.


Daniel wrestles Captain Hook's crocodile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home