Times and Sorensens

Connect with the Sorensens!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rocketships and Lightsabers

These two pictures cover most of the day for us:



Joshua devised a rocketship from the child-size table and chairs we have plus a few toys, and I was impressed with his ingenuity (and it seems to me that it really does resemble a rocket ship -- this is a shot of the rear of the ship). Maybe you had to be there.

At Target we caved in to letting Joshua get a lightsaber; he seems to enjoy playing with it for longer than many other toys we've gotten him for Christmas or his birthday. He doesn't seem to want to hit things with it, which is a very good sign. Before discovering the lightsaber, he looked at the Star Wars blaster that was on display for a bit and was interested only to the extent that it had buttons that might make fun noises. After pressing a number of likely spots on the blaster with no result, he gave up.

"Maybe you need to pull the trigger," I recommended, whereupon he started to press various spots on the blaster once more. Clearly he had no idea where the trigger was, or how to pull it. I felt a stab of pride that I could raise a kid at least 3 1/2 years without him having any idea what a gun was really like, and then wondered why I would feel good that my son has no idea what a gun is really like. I'm going to go with "because it shows I'm not teaching him to be more aggressive than he should be" as the reason. And for more evidence that we're not overly bound by traditional gender roles, check out this shot of the boys engrossed in their cooking:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home